On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 01:06:01PM +0000, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> I'd like to move forward with the pandas 1.5 -> 2.1 transition reasonably
> soon.
>
> Given that pandas 2.x is *not* required for Python 3.12 (but is required for
> Cython 3.0), should we wait for the Python 3.12 transition to be done first?

Well, I have seen at least one package that has an RC bug for the
Python 3.12 transition that might be because it's still using an old
version of cython3 :(  So it's a bit of chicken-and-egg - having Cython
3.0 might be very helpful.  But then there is this list of 28 packages
broken by pandas 2.x.  On the other hand, these will need fixing at
some point soon anyway, so I'd be in favour of doing the pandas
transition now, which will allow Cython 3.0 to move into unstable.

Just my 2 cents' worth...

Best wishes,

   Julian