> I don't know much about exim's guts, but is there a point in starting it
> as "mail" if it's SUID root?
> -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root       466308 sie 15 01:13 /usr/sbin/exim

  There is a "small" point of binding to port 25. Only root can do
that. I have not looked at exim's code, but if run as a stand-alone
daemon (i.e. not from inetd), I would guess it just opens the port as
root and drops the priviledges right away. Someone who knows the code
might want to confirm/rebuke this.
  On the other hand, if exim is run from inetd (as I do), does it
still need to be suid root? Since inetd runs root anyway, there should
be no need for exim to: the port is already bound when exim starts and
exim will not be able to bind to it anyway. Just wondering if I should
do some dpkg-statoverrides.