On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:12:28AM +1200, Steve Wray wrote:

> At high security levels, any new services that get installed (from RPMs)
> are only allowed from localhost or even, IIRC, services may not even
> be started by default, neither post-install nor on reboot: you have to
> set them up manually.

We can see it the other way: why bother the user with the details
of running a service if the clued ones can easily stop or disable
the installed daemons until they are configured properly?

Since Debian claims to be security conscious, the choice should
be obvious.  In this respect, the habit of the postinstall scripts
of launching daemons after asking a few simple questions has
always appeared at least controversial to me.

One of you have suggested introducing a new configuration
variable in /etc/default which would tell postinst whether
it is to operate fully automagically.  The approach brings
up interesting questions about the case of upgrading an
already running service, but they should probably be
discussed elsewhere.

Not being part of the community I'm satisfied with the current
situation just as well.  Conversely, I recommend taking the
simple not-to-start-anything strategy unconditionally, which
might decrease the respect on behalf of the less experienced
user, but may call for applause from others.

bit,
adam

--
1024D/37B8D989 954B 998A E5F5 BA2A 3622  82DD 54C2 843D 37B8 D989
finger://[EMAIL PROTECTED] | Some days, my soul's confined