hi ya s.

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, s. keeling wrote:

> > > If I can't, what does my ISP have to do to implement this?
> >
> > ISP will probably NOT provide spam filtering, becuase of legal issues
>
> My ISP does provide spam filtering; spamassassin marks crap on the
> mailhost and procmail moves it to my spamfile.  I can review it there
> via webmail and blow it away without downloading it.
>
> However, I _would_ like to STOP it from being delivered at all,

run your own mta ..

>  as
> defined by simple rules like those above.  As far as I can tell, this
> must be done in the SMTP negotiation phase.

yup

>  What's it going to cost my ISP to implement this?
> Is it feasible for an ISP to implement this?

about 5 minutes of time to configure sendmail/exim/postfix etc
        - and worry about "censoring issues"  from the legal side
        of the world when the lawayers for the spammers comes knocking

implementing antispam rules would depend on the rules you want to use
to "call it spam" before you even see it ....

        my antispam rules
        http://www.linux-sec.net/Mail/AntiSpam/

i call it "5 minute antispam rules", to implement my list
of about dozen antispam rules ... ( and i use sendmail :-)
        - no incoming html is one of my rules :-)
        ( but, its obviously not for work related mta servers )

if you do not have control of the mta .. you're costs is lot
more ( 100x - 1000x ) since  you have to post process your emails
after you already received it.  further, each user has to
also implement those same antispam rules in their mua

if the mta is just for "you" and your policies, antispam costs is trivial

if the mta is like mta.hotmail.com, or your corp server, would become
in a non-trivial anti-spam set of rules ..
because what is considered by spam to one user is "i want that same
identical email" by another user
        - catalogs and price lists is a common issue

        - some things are still spam, even for 10 or 1000 users

- if one uses someone elses MTA and pop from it, i suppose  one
  has to be willing to find a harder solution to not get the spam
  ( harder solution - more than 5 or 10 minutes to implement )

c ya
alvin