Incoming from Alvin Oga:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, s. keeling wrote:
>
> personal email .. you can proably reject alll html emails
> and whitelist all your friends that are sending html emails

... Assuming you can see into the future and can predict where all
your future mail will be coming from.  That's an impossible
assumption.  I get personal replies from Usenet, from debian-*, from
headhunters, from friends of my friends, from people I've never heard
of who landed on my homepage, ...

I'm sick of whitelisting.  It doesn't work if you care about
communicating with people you've never met.

Besides, the simple way to deal with html is with mutt and a .mailcap:

  text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html

- -