Robert Lemmen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 10:22:29AM +0200, Lupe Christoph wrote:
> > So in essence the announcement says "screw you, commercial
> > customers".
> >
> > Please don't do that. It makes promoting Debian awkward.
>
> are you aware that we are talking about *oldstable* here? it was
> released july 2002, i think if it is supported until may 2006(one
> year after it got replaced with a new stable version) that's quite a
> long timeframe and a very good reason for promoting debian!

Also, you are IMHO ignoring, that Debian is one of the _very_ few
distros, that provides _seamless_ upgrades between even major
releases. The only other distro, which comes close to the "debian-way
of upgrading" is afaik Gentoo (which is no alternative for productive
server-systems for obvious reasons).

On my behalf, i used to install a base-system with a
woody-netinstall-image to setup a sarge-system for customers, who
wanted a more up2date system - this never made any problems worth
speaking of.

And THIS is a very strong pro Debian argument - you don't need to
re-setup your server every so-often (like you would have to do with,
say, SuSE), but you can, if you wish, even slowly migrate your server,
service by service to more recent versions/releases and deal with
probable changes in configuration or handling one by one and don't
have to do the whole lot at once.

Regards,
Sven

--