Anyone using this yet?

I would speculate, not many are using it. It needs step by step
instructions. Otherwise, most users are lost at hello.

> Things debcheckroot does not check at the moment are the initrd and
the MBR (master boot record). You may unpack the initrd by hand and
check the files contained there against a sha256sum list generated by
debcheckroot. The MBR can first be backuped by confinedrv/diskutils.
Then reinstall it with Grub from a fresh boot CD and look if the boot
sector has altered. Under normal circumstances Grub would install the
exactly same code into the MBR.

I guess "nobody" is going to do that. Sounds complicated. And I am
saying that as a fairly technical user. (Maintaining Debian derivative
distributions...) Users need very detailed step-by-step instructions.
This is my experience from over 7 years of Whonix user support. Murphy's
law. Anything can go wrong, will go wrong. Keep it simple stupid (KISS).

Some stuff on usability:

Quote To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/toggle-or-not-toggle-end-torbutton

> mike, am i completely anonymized if i log onto my facebook account? im
using firefox 3.6 with tor and no script on windows 7 machine. thank you.

Quote https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-20445632

> In order to make sure the mobile phone frequencies are not being
tracked, I would fill up a washbasin with water and put the lid of a
rice cooker over my head while I made a phone call," said one
interviewee, a 28-year-old man who left the country in November 2010.

[tor-dev] First-time tails/tor user feedback

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2012-April/003472.html

Eliminating Stop-Points in the Installation and Use ofAnonymity Systems:
a Usability Evaluation of the Tor Browser Bundle

https://petsymposium.org/2012/papers/hotpets12-1-usability.pdf

I would also suggest a different design / additional feature. Rather
than requiring a network connection or DVD, could you add a feature
please similar to "apt-file" or "command-not-found"? What I mean by that:

These tools download a cache while the system is running. debcheckroot
could download/generate/prepare all the sha256 files on the disk. Yes,
within the running system. Don't worry about verifying integrity of
these files just yet. That will be answered later. Yes, these sha256
files could be maliciously altered. But that is something you can check
later at debcheckroot runtime.

Generating the (sha256) files required for later verification could be
done using an apt or dpkg hook.

Then, later when debcheckroot runs, it would rely on these files. But to
check that these files haven't been altered, it could check them against
repository signing keys. So debcheckroot would need a bit root of trust
built-in or better configurable. For example, it could be sufficient to
point debcheckroot at clean Debian repository signing keys. These would
then be used to check the sha256 files.

The advantage of this would be that debcheckroot can be run from Live
USD or Live DVD. Offline. No need for a network connection since all
files to be verified would already be prepared.

debcheckroot could be a Debian package that gets installed in the
running system. And then starts preparing the sha256 files for later
verification. It could also run the verification within the running
system. That would just be an integrity check and no rootkit hunt. Since
a system that is already running could be infected with a rootkit
already. (Similar to debsums.) The same debcheckroot package then could
also be used started from a Live USD or Live DVD and then "just" change
the root (local of what debcheckroot should check) from the boot medium
to the internal hard drive. debcheckroot could then verify that the
existing sha256 files on the disk have valid signatures and if so, start
the verification of all individual files.

To a rootkit hunter which laymen can use it's a long way to go. Some
rhetorical question questions. How to I create a Live DVD / USB to check
my running system? Download such a Live DVD / USB image somewhere? How
do I mount the internal hard drive? Or mount an internal full disk
encrypted disk? Then run debcheckroot on it? Could this be fully
automated so these tests can be run routinely, easy? Graphical user
interface? Run debcheckroot fully automated at boot (from read-only boot
medium such as Live DVD), verify all files, then continue booting from
the internal disk (kexec)? That would be similar to the verified boot
feature which is already a default feature in iPhone, Android, and ChromeOS.

Can we get iPhone and Android Level Security for Linux Desktop
Distributions?

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Kicksecure#iPhone_and_Android_Level_Security_for_Linux_Desktop_Distributions

Cheers,
Patrick