Ah, OK.

So we're talking about a 64-bit `gcc` binary (sparc64 bootstrapped this,
yes?) while I'm running a 32-bit `gcc` that can produce 32/64-bit code.
Since these binaries are fundamentally different, perhaps there is some
weirdness with how gcc works then? Honestly, the whole "sparc64" vs "sparc"
thing is a bit strange to me -- a 64-bit `gcc` will likely run slower than
a 32-bit `gcc`, but that is a bit off-topic (although, I guess 64-bit `gcc`
can help for truly massive projects).

It appears I can't help you if you're testing a 64-bit `gcc` binary. Since
you're not hitting the issue, can you verify that:

1) sompek has a 64-bit gcc
2) you have a 64-bit gcc

I just want to rule out that "64-bitness" matters, since it appears that
you both have identical versions of `gcc`.

Patrick