On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Michael-John Turner <m...@mjturner.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2016 at 11:12:50AM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> The document you linked is over 6 years old! sparc64 emulation is pretty
>> usable already, I have installed the sparc64 netinst images that I built
>> without any problems.
>
> Ah, I missed the date at the bottom of the page and didn't realise that!
> I'm not sure that installing newer version of Solaris works yet though (at
> least according to this[1] 2015 thread from Stack Exchange). Still,
> possibly worth a try though.

Not yet. There is some  progress, for instance, qemu-system-sparc64
can boot Linux since March 2013 [1], and NetBSD since 2014 [2].
One of the problems is that qemu-system-sparc64 emulates a workstation
which has been never existed as a bare metal. Therefore it's not
possible to use an existing firmware to boot Solaris and Solaris for
64 bit SPARC machines is very picky about the firmware.
But Mark Cave-Ayland is working on OpenBIOS (in the mean time it can
already boot FreeBSD) and I work on sun4v emulation which could re-use
Firmware from the OpenSPARC project (its Firmware is indeed
Solaris-compatible).
So, stay tuned.

1. http://tyom.blogspot.de/2013/03/debiansparc64-wheezy-under-qemu-how-to.html
2. http://tyom.blogspot.de/2014/08/upstream-qemu-can-run-netbsdsparc64.html