I have working Ultra 5 if it is of any help…..

root@xray:/boot/grub# uname -a
Linux xray 5.10.0-8-sparc64 #1 Debian 5.10.46-4 (2021-08-03) sparc64 GNU/Linux

> On Apr 3, 2022, at 8:28 PM, Stan Johnson <user...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/3/22 11:04 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> Hi Stan!
>>
>> On 4/3/22 16:39, Stan Johnson wrote:
>>> If this problem is expected to occur on an Ultra 5 or an Ultra 30,
>>> please let me know and I'll be happy to help with a git bisect, using a
>>> spare 9 GB disk for the installation.
>>
>> I think you should see the issue on both the Ultra 5 and Ultra 30.
>
> I wasn't able to get my Ultra 5 working; the video signal kept cycling
> on and off for some reason, and the CD drive wasn't seen, though it was
> seen well enough to boot the installation and get to the point where it
> said no CD drive was found.
>
> But I was able to confirm that the "grub-probe" bug doesn't seem to
> affect the Ultra 30.

root@xray:/boot/grub# /sbin/grub-probe --target=drive --device /dev/sda1
(hostdisk//dev/sda,sun1)

> -----
>
> There were a few oddities, but only #6 is serious (apparently a libc
> bug, not a kernel bug).
>
> 1) I see that /dev/sda1 is mounted as /boot, not /boot/grub. So all the
> kernels will end up in /dev/sda1. I haven't tested how (or whether) that
> will affect kernels for other operating systems (e.g. Gentoo).
>
> 2) Please confirm that grub-install never needs to be run. It appears
> not to be needed, since update-grub updates /boot/grub/grub.cfg directly.
>
> 3) At system boot, when GRUB runs, it complains that it is out of
> memory, but it seems to work anyway.
>
> 4) During installation, the disk partitioner said "The disk has 562253
> cylinders which is greater than the maximum of 65536.", but that error
> didn't seem to affect anything.

All 4 of the above have also been witnessed on my machine.

> 6) In Xfce, a login at the console worked once, but it is now failing
> consistently (even after a reboot), with this error message in dmesg:
>
> xfce4-session[3980]: segfault at 0 ip fffff8010263c9b4 (rpc
> fffff801020efbb8) sp 000007feff8dc451 error 1 in
> libc-2.33.so[fffff801025b0000+164000]

I’m using lightdm and it seems to be fine. But support for the graphics card is
lacking as explained on other emails to this list.

mgt@xray:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV100 [Radeon 7000 /
Radeon VE] driver: radeonfb v: N/A
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.11 driver: loaded: ati,fbdev unloaded:
modesetting,radeon tty: 138x43
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console. Try -G
--display