On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 09:15:39PM +0200, Daniel Fabian wrote:
> > Look up your laptop on http://linux-laptop.net (although they seem to be
> > down at the moment )^8 ) to see if there's any known issues with it.  If
> > there's not anything outstandingly difficult, try again, but choose a
> > very minimal install at first - this'll give you a (hopefully)
> > functional system that you can then add to, and at least see the error
> > messages when it fails.  This is what I had to do with my laptop (an old
> > Thinkad) because there are some problems with the sound card.  You ave
> > to use a workaround, well documented, but I couldn't set it up until I
> > had an installed system, but I couldn't install the system because it
> > kept hanging . . . you get the picture.  The very minimal install
> > approach worked for me, though.
>
> [Update:]
>
> Try 4: This time it's docbook that causes it to hang. With all the beeping
> again. Is there anything these packets (cxref, esound-common and docbook)
> have in common?

The VERY minimal install is a good idea.  It's worked for me also.
None of these packages (cxref, esound-common, docbook) would be
included in a minimal system.  I suspect the problem has nothing to do
with any of them, but if you can get a small system functional,
hopefully you will be able to capture the error messages when you do
reach the point of failure.