on Sun, May 16, 2004 at 10:52:16PM -0700, machoamerica ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

Please set your mailer/editor linewrap to 68-75 characters.  I strongly
recommend 72 as a good default.

While many mail clients will accomodate unwrapped text:

  - Some don't.  Be considerate.

  - Many more fail to wrap and attribute quotes properly.

  - Many web-based list archives render unwrapped text as very long
    lines, e.g.:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200309/msg00568.html

Thank you.

> hi there, i'm running a dual boot sytem (debian, win98) and i'm
> finding that the maximum volume i can get any application to play at
> (xmms, cdplay, dvd players, etc.) is several times quieter than in the
> corresponding windows application.  way quieter than i would like.
> i'm not using alsa or oss, just a regular kernel module.  the kernel
> module is maestro3 and my card is a ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1.

Have you adjusted your mixer levels?

    $ su aptitude install aumix
    $ aumix

(aumix is a curses-based audio mixer).

> is there a master volume setting somewhere i'm unaware of?

See above.

> 'lsmod' gives:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> <snip a bunch of irrelevant stuff...>
> maestro3               24040   1
> soundcore               3524   2  [maestro3]
> ac97_codec              9376   0  [maestro3]
>
> 'cat /proc/pci' gives:
>
> PCI devices found:
> <snip a bunch of irrelevant stuff...>
>   Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 16).
>       IRQ 9.
>       Master Capable.  Latency=16.  Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
>       I/O at 0x6800 [0x68ff].

Try the above first.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    I'll stop calling this Administration "Orwellian" when they stop