So far Google reveals only that SoundBlaster cards sometimes misbehave.
I couldn't find anything specific about not getting any sound out of
Gnome with a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card.

I have the correct modules loaded (2.6.3 kernel, snd-emu10k1,
snd/sound/coundcore, ac97-codec), fixed permissions on /dev/mixer and
/dev/dsp, and added myself to the audio group.

Looking in /proc/driver/emu10k1/0000:00:0f.0 :

$ cat info:

Driver Version : 0.20a
Card type      : Emu10k1
Revision       : 10
Model          : 0x8064
IO             : 0xa800-0xa81f
IRQ            : 18

Registered /dev Entries:
/dev/dsp0
/dev/dsp1
/dev/mixer0
/dev/midi0
/dev/sequencer

$ cat ac97:

Vendor name      : Unknown
Vendor id        : 454D 4328
AC97 Version     : 2.0 or later
Capabilities     :
DAC resolutions  : -16-bit- -18-bit-
ADC resolutions  : -16-bit- -18-bit-
3D enhancement   : No 3D Stereo Enhancement
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
MIC select       : MIC1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Ext Capabilities : -PCM surround DAC- -slot/DAC mappings-
Front DAC rate   : 0

---

Looks like /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer aren't handled by the device driver
under "Registered /dev Entries" so nothing's happening when applications
use /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer.  But if I cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp I do
get a hissing sound, leading me to believe that I am completely confused
and out of my depth...

I'm not sure how to instruct Gnome to use /dev/dsp0 or /dev/dsp1, or
/dev/mixer0 or /dev/mixer1, or whatever it is that I must do.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.