On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:36:25 -0600
"s. keeling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Incoming from Michael B Allen:
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 22:15:24 -0400
> > Paul Galbraith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >   #!/bin/bash --login
> > >   exec x-session-manager
> >
> > Yes, I think this is my problem. But I don't understand what the
> > reasoning is for this default configuration. Obviously if the
> > .bash_profile and
>
> Apparently, the two are dancing around each other, attempting to not
> step on each other's toes.  Consequently, they both end up wrong.

Well I can appreciate having separate profiles for sh and bash. I have cron
jobs and cgi scripts that need a certain consistent environment that differs
from the environment used for development. But the problem is I cannot seem
to locate the mechanism to trigger all shells derived from a user logon to
be logon shells. Such a mechanism must exist or there would be no point in
having separate profiles. Or perhaps disperate packagers are not
coordinating?

Mike

--
Greedo shoots first? Not in my Star Wars.