Incoming from [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
> /dev/hda1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
>
> I'm getting this every time I boot my system.  When I shut down, I do
> either exit or logout, and then manually shut down the laptop.  Laptop is

What do you mean by "manually shut down the laptop?"  If you mean
punch the power button, there's your problem.

> a Dell c610.  How do I fix this?  How do I get the laptop to shutdown
> without me manually pushing the button?

As root, "sync ; sync ; shutdown -h now & exit"

Change the "-h" to "-r" to reboot instead of shutdown/halt.
"shutdown" unmounts all your drives and marks them clean so fsck
doesn't have to check them at boot time (except if it's time to check
it, after a specific number of re-boots; then checks will be forced).

- -