Silvan wrote:

On Saturday 14 August 2004 06:46 pm, Inge Thorin Eidsaether wrote:

<>Haven't tried recording yet. So I installed Ardour.

Ardour won't work unless jackd is running, which it wasn't:

Hm. Found out I needed the LSM realtime module.

Alternatively, you can just run JACK and Ardour as a regular user. If you start it with jackd and don't elect to start with realtime set, it will work fine. It's true you will probably never get useful performance doing it this way, but it runs.

Is jackd (the debian package) compiled with all necessary flags?
Like --enable-capabilites ? How do I find out?

It works on patched 2.4 kernels. I have no idea about 2.6. It may be there's some different capabilities library it needs to be compiled against or something. Pure speculation.

This is what I get trying to start jackd with a 2.6.7-1-386 kernel on an AMD K6-2/350 in case anyone has any ideas:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ sudo jackd -v -s -d alsa getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/libjack0.80.0-0/jack_iec61883.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/libjack0.80.0-0/jack_alsa.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/libjack0.80.0-0/jack_dummy.so
getting driver descriptor from /usr/lib/libjack0.80.0-0/jack_oss.so
jackd 0.98.1
Copyright 2001-2003 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Illegal instruction

I have looked at Sylvan's excellent materials.

TIA,

Paul Scott