> Date: Yesterday 14:49:47

> Lo, on Sunday, August 15, Richard Cobbe did write:

>> The computer did come with a PCI IDE controller card (the "unknown mass
>> storage controller" line above) that has another two controllers on it.
>> I haven't yet tried switching controllers to see if that helps at all; I
>> may attempt that later this afternoon.

> Well, that didn't work.  Moving it to the other controller should make
> the hard drive visible as /dev/hde, but the kernel couldn't find the
> root device, even when I specified `root=/dev/hde2' on the Lilo command
> line.  The odd thing is, I've switched hard drives to this controller
> before, back when I was having strange trouble with the previous drive
> and trying to diagnose it.  I don't remember exactly what incantation I
> had to mumble in order to get the kernel to find the partition, though,
> so I can't repeat the process.

> Does anyone else have any suggestions?

> Richard

Your lspci listing should not contain any unknown devices, for example below
is my listing for my MP 2460.

00:00.0 Host bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 MP [IGD4-2P] System
Controller 11 00 0000 0000
00:01.0 PCI bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-760 MP [IGD4-2P] AGP
Bridge 00 00 0000 0000
00:07.0 ISA bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus] ISA 02 00
0000 0000
00:07.1 IDE interface Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus] IDE 01
8a 0000 0000
00:07.3 Bridge Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus] ACPI 01 00
0000 0000
00:07.4 USB Controller Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] AMD-766 [ViperPlus] USB 07
00:0a.0 USB Controller OPTi Inc. 82C861 20 10 OPTi Inc. 82C861
00:0a.1 USB Controller OPTi Inc. 82C861 20 10 OPTi Inc. 82C861
00:0c.0 Ethernet controller Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. Ethernet 100/10 MBit
31 00 ARCHTEK TELECOM Corp 0008
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 10 00
C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]
b2 00 CardExpert Technology 05de

I do not remember exactly what chipset the mpx series use, but its AMD 760ish
based. I would load a k7 kernel-image smp capable with apt-get and see what
lspci says. Also knoppix, and other live cds are great to verify hardware
setup, so you could give them a try. It might just be eaiser to just apt-get
a kernel image and give it a try.

Rthoreau