On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 00:59:48 +0100, Richard Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 06 September 2004 21:43, Paul Gear wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I have another criteria which you may or may not find relevant: is it
> > cross-platform.  This is a critical issue to me, because i need to be
> > able to recommend the tool to the end users i support, and most of them
> > still use Windows or Mac.  Therefore, if there is a cross-platform
> > solution that works (i.e. OpenOffice.org), i recommend it.  I do the
> > same with browsers and email (Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird).
>
> But gnumeric can read and write excel format files, so less of a problem...
>
> --
> richard

Thanks for  all the opinions. They have been very useful.
Cross-platform performance is important to me in a different sense.
Let's say my clients are excel-only-users and I am a debian-user. We
will be exchanging data periodically with changes committed to the
file at each time (client will add some data and I will additional
data as time progresses).

Looks like the best way to achieve this is to export the data from
gnumeric into excel spreadsheet and pass it on. Thanks a lot for all
the feedback.

Another thing I noticed with gnumeric, oocalc is that oocalc seems to
have more keyboard shortcuts than gnumeric. For example, there are
commands like Alt+arrow to change the column width, height and
Alt+Shift+arrow to optimize width/height of a column in oocalc. I was
not able to find equivalent commands in gnumeric. But this is a minor
advantage I guess...

Apologies if I break the threads. I am using gmail to read the mailing
list and it is a bit clumsy with "the conversation view" as opposed to
"the thread view".

regards
raju