I'm running testing and have been happily for the last few months. No
real problems, updating every few days by doing an apt-get
distupgrade, yesterday I saw the package upgrade-system in the
available list and decided to install it. I installed and ran it, it
said it wanted to downgrade 20 packages and remove over a thousand,
including 20 essentials, such as apt. since then no matter what apt
frontend - apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, they all want to remove
essentially my entire system. I've tried runnning dpkg
--forget-available and re-updating my package lists a few times but
they always want to remove everything. Has something changed on the
servers? or is it the upgrade-system command that has messed up my
system?
How can I stop this?
Is my only option to allow it to remove everything and then reinstall?