Incoming from John Lowell:
> A little confused by the Debian login process when using a window
> manager like fluxbox. In the past, I've always started the X window
> system after a console login and startx after having first written an
> ~/.xinitrc. I was a little surprized after the Debian installation and
> the addition of X window system and fluxbox to find myself automatically
> at a graphical login screen. I assume that xdm is somehow run as a last

Do you really want xdm at all?  I use fluxbox without it, just as you
used to run it.

However, you can rummage around in /etc/X11.  I note there's a
/etc/X11/gdm that's a link to /etc/gdm/ which contains gdm.conf, and
that mentions a few graphical things.

Otherwise, dump *dm and hack your style file:

  ~/.fluxbox/styles/TDF:

    rootCommand: /usr/bin/feh --bg-center /home/keeling/grf/omega_nebula.jpg

- -