that has been posted to gmane.linux.debian.user as well.

>> "Tim" == Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  > On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:19:48AM -0400, Marc D Ronell wrote:
  >>  Hi,
  >>
  >> Under Debian, is there a method which allows any user directly
  >> logged onto the host and using the host's keyboard and monitor to
  >> take ownership of some that host's devices?  For example, to
  >> change the ownership of /dev/xconsole or /dev/fd0 to be owned by
  >> the user currently logged directly onto the host.  Then when the
  >> user logs off, the ownerships revert to their default values
  >> until the next user logs directly on the host.  Remote users do
  >> not change the device ownership properties.

  > Why would you want to do this? Why do you want "remote" users to
  > be treated any different than "local" ones?

  > Debian dynamically creates whatever devices that are neccessary
  > when you log in (e.g., /dev/pts/)

If permissions are open on a local user's floppy, zip, etc, then these
items, which are often viewed  as personal, could be exposed to remote
access.  If only the local user has access to these removable devices,
(by ownership in /dev) then exposure is reduced.  I admit that it is a
debatable  concern, but I  am wondering  if there  is a  common Debian
approach?

I also understand  that file ownership on remove  media files, in most
cases, will solve this concern.

I'm just curious.

Marc