--- Shaul Karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:47:24AM -0800, James Kirk
> wrote:
> > Does anyone else (who still uses dselect) find
> that
> > dselect does not respect holds ?  A couple of
> packages
> > (tetex-bin, gramofile) I've installed have
> > recommends/suggests (texi2html, mctools-lite,
> cddb)
> > that don't interest me.  I marked them hold in the
> > dependecies conflict resolution window that popped
> up
> > when I first selected tetex-bin and gramofile.
> >
> > However, everytime I use dselect, I am presented
> with
> > these same recommends/suggests.
> >
> > -------------------
> > dselect-recursive package listing mark:+/=/- ...
> > help:?
> > EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
> >  *** Opt tex      tetex-bin    teTeX binary files
>

> >  *** Xtr sound    gramofile    Transfer sound
> from...
> >   =* Opt sound    cddb         CD DataBase
> support...
> >   =* Opt sound    mctools-lite A CD player and
> > audio...
> >   =* Opt text     texi2html    Convert Texinfo
> > files...
> > -------------------
> >
> > I am finding it wearisome to have to remove the
> > install tag and hit "Q" everytime I
> install/uninstall
> > something else.
> >

>   I didn't use dselect for a long time. Are you
> sure you can't instruct dselect to install only
> the new versions of the packages you are interested
> in? Wasn't there an option in the screen you have
> shown to step through every package and remove
> the mark for install for the packages you are not
> interested in? Wasn't there some global options
> that you haven't mentioned? have you looked at the
> help menus (? if I remember correctly)? I believe
> dselect does remember your hold mark. The `='
> character from above shows that. Have you tried
> the `V', (or is it `v'?) to get a more verbal
> display?

Sorry, I don't think I've explained myself properly.

I while ago I installed tetex-bin and gramofile.
tetex-bin recommends texi2html.  gramofile recommends
mctools-lite, which in turn depends on cddb.

   tetex-bin

      \_ recommends -> texi2html

   gramofile

      \_ recommends -> mctools-lite

                          \_ depends -> cddb

The dselect's online help states, when describing key
usage, the H or = will hold a package in its present
state, and when describing the meaning of the symbols
used in the 4 state columns that = denotes the package
is on hold, and will not be processed at all.

I don't want texi2html or mctools-lite, and therefore
don't need cddb, either.  So, I marked these 3 as yet
uninstalled packages hold (=) thinking that dselect,
wanting normally to install these recommendations
would instead hold them in their uninstalled state.

But, everytime I've used dselect, it has ignored my
desire not to have these recommended packages
installed.  Now, everytime I use dselect I am
presented with the dependencies/conflicts screen
changing the marks on texi2html, mctools-lite and cddb
from hold to install.

This is not a problem, but rather a pain in the neck.
I'd rather not have to remark these packages as
uninstalled/purged everytime I use dselect.   It looks
like either hold doesn't work on uninstalled packages,
or that this is a problem with dselect.

Thanks.