Please note, first, that ALSA modules are shipped in kernel-image-2.6*
packages, so if you are using a standard Debian kernel then you
normally don't need to build any modules yourself.

Note, second, that you _can_ build an alsa-modules package for a 2.6
kernel from alsa-source using the make-kpkg utility.  When the
alsa-modules package is installed, the module loader will load its modules
in preference to those from the kernel-image package.

One reason you might want to build an alsa-modules package for a 2.6
kernel is that the drivers so generated are generally more up-to-date than
the ones in the kernel.  For example, alsa-source is currently at version
1.0.7 whereas Linux 2.6.8.1 currently contains ALSA version 1.0.4.

--
Thomas Hood