I have a debian (woody) server running at work and would like to back up the
entire system onto some sort of removable media (USB hard drive, DVD,
removable harddrive etc).  I do daily backups of /etc and /home using tar,
but would like to be able to restore my system quickly in the event of a
disaster.  I don't change things much on my system, so I'd only need to do
this once every 6 months or so.

To date I've been using partimage - but that requires that the partition
being backed up is unmounted.  I've done a bit of googling, but haven't
found something that fits the bill.

Is there a way of doing this (preferably remotely) without unmounting the
filesystem (like the new version of Norton Ghost is able to do in Windows)?