Dear Basajaun and all,

Basajaun wrote:
[snip]

Well, you could try the old link trick. First of all locate the biggest
directory(ies) residing in /, e.g.

du -sh /*

then, move that directory and all of its contents to a bigger
partition, where space is not a problem, e.g.

cp -R /big_dir /scratch/

then create a link in / with the old dir name, and pointing to the new
location, e.g.

ln -s /scratch/big_dir /big_dir

Yes, it is a dirty trick, but will save your day until you repartition
properly (say, when reinstalling the whole system).

HTH,

     Basajaun

That was my first idea when reading the original post. In fact, I was thinking of doing that in a laptop of a friend. Is there any reason why this is a "dirty" trick. Is there any problem or disavantage in doing so? It seemed to me it would be safer (and easier) than changing partitions sizes...

Thanks in advance,

Luis