--- "Steve C. Lamb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Again pardon me if I don't believe you when you say that
> something which
> you cannot explain to me through text is best configured through
> text.  That
> implies that it is explained and understood in text.

OK.  I'll try.  In FVWM, windows can have a lot of style hints applied
to them.  Here's a list of them:

BorderWidth, HandleWidth,  NoIcon  /  Icon,  MiniIcon,  IconBox,
IconGrid,  IconFill,  IconSize, NoTitle / Title, TitleAtBottom /
TitleAtLeft / TitleAtRight /  TitleAtTop,  LeftTitleRotatedCW  /
LeftTitleRotatedCCW, RightTitleRotatedCCW / RightTitleRotatedCW,
TopTitleRotated / TopTitleNotRotated, BottomTitleRotated /  Bot-
tomTitleNotRotated,  !UseTitleDecorRotation / UseTitleDecorRota-
tion,  StippledTitle  /  StippledTitleOff,  IndexedWindowName  /
ExactWindowName,  IndexedIconName  /  ExactIconName,  !Borders /
Borders, NoHandles / Handles,  WindowListSkip  /  WindowListHit,
CirculateSkip  /  CirculateHit, CirculateSkipShaded / Circulate-
HitShaded, Layer, StaysOnTop / StaysOnBottom / StaysPut,  Sticky
/  Slippery,  StickyAcrossPages  /  !StickyAcrossPages,  Sticky-
AcrossDesks /  !StickyAcrossDesks,  StartIconic  /  StartNormal,
Color, ForeColor, BackColor, Colorset, HilightFore, HilightBack,
HilightColorset, BorderColorset, HilightBorderColorset,  IconTi-
tleColorset,  HilightIconTitleColorset,  IconBackgroundColorset,
IconTitleRelief,  IconBackgroundRelief,   IconBackgroundPadding,
Font,  IconFont,  StartsOnDesk  / StartsOnPage / StartsAnyWhere,
StartsOnScreen, ManualPlacementHonorsStartsOnPage / ManualPlace-
mentIgnoresStartsOnPage,    CaptureHonorsStartsOnPage   /   Cap-
tureIgnoresStartsOnPage,  RecaptureHonorsStartsOnPage  /  Recap-
tureIgnoresStartsOnPage, StartsOnPageIncludesTransients / Start-
sOnPageIgnoresTransients, IconTitle / NoIconTitle, MwmButtons  /
FvwmButtons,  MwmBorder  /  FvwmBorder,  MwmDecor / NoDecorHint,
MwmFunctions / NoFuncHint, HintOverride / NoOverride, NoButton /
Button,  ResizeHintOverride / NoResizeOverride, OLDecor / NoOLD-
ecor, GNOMEUseHints / GNOMEIgnoreHints, StickyIcon /  SlipperyI-
con,  StickyAcrossPagesIcon  /  !StickyAcrossPagesIcon,  Sticky-
AcrossDesksIcon / !StickyAcrossDesksIcon, ManualPlacement / Cas-
cadePlacement / MinOverlapPlacement / MinOverlapPercentPlacement
/ TileManualPlacement / TileCascadePlacement, / CenterPlacement,
MinOverlapPlacementPenalties,   MinOverlapPercentPlacementPenal-
ties, DecorateTransient / NakedTransient,  DontRaiseTransient  /
RaiseTransient,  DontLowerTransient / LowerTransient, DontStack-
TransientParent / StackTransientParent, SkipMapping  /  ShowMap-
ping,  ScatterWindowGroups  /  KeepWindowGroupsOnDesk, UseDecor,
UseStyle, NoPPosition / UsePPosition, NoUSPosition /  UseUSPosi-
tion,  NoTransientPPosition / UseTransientPPosition, NoTransien-
tUSPosition / UseTransientUSPosition, NoIconPosition /  UseIcon-
Position,  Lenience  /  NoLenience, ClickToFocus / SloppyFocus /
MouseFocus|FocusFollowsMouse  /  NeverFocus,   ClickToFocusPass-
esClickOff  /  ClickToFocusPassesClick,  ClickToFocusRaisesOff /
ClickToFocusRaises, MouseFocusClickRaises / MouseFocusClickRais-
esOff, GrabFocus / GrabFocusOff, GrabFocusTransientOff / GrabFo-
cusTransient,    FPFocusClickButtons,     FPFocusClickModifiers,
!FPSortWindowlistByFocus / FPSortWindowlistByFocus, FPClickRais-
esFocused / !FPClickRaisesFocused,  FPClickDecorRaisesFocused  /
!FPClickDecorRaisesFocused, FPClickIconRaisesFocused / !FPClick-
IconRaisesFocused, !FPClickRaisesUnfocused /  FPClickRaisesUnfo-
cused,  FPClickDecorRaisesUnfocused  /  !FPClickDecorRaisesUnfo-
cused, FPClickIconRaisesUnfocused / !FPClickIconRaisesUnfocused,
FPClickToFocus    /   !FPClickToFocus,   FPClickDecorToFocus   /
!FPClickDecorToFocus, FPClickIconToFocus /  !FPClickIconToFocus,
!FPEnterToFocus  /  FPEnterToFocus, !FPLeaveToUnfocus / FPLeave-
ToUnfocus, !FPFocusByProgram / FPFocusByProgram, !FPFocusByFunc-
tion  / FPFocusByFunction, FPFocusByFunctionWarpPointer / !FPFo-
cusByFunctionWarpPointer,  FPLenient  /  !FPLenient,  !FPPassFo-
cusClick   /   FPPassFocusClick,   !FPPassRaiseClick  /  FPPass-
RaiseClick,  FPIgnoreFocusClickMotion  /  !FPIgnoreFocusClickMo-
tion,   FPIgnoreRaiseClickMotion   /  !FPIgnoreRaiseClickMotion,
!FPAllowFocusClickFunction /  FPAllowFocusClickFunction,  !FPAl-
lowRaiseClickFunction / FPAllowRaiseClickFunction, FPGrabFocus /
!FPGrabFocus,  !FPGrabFocusTransient   /   FPGrabFocusTransient,
FPOverrideGrabFocus  /  !FPOverrideGrabFocus,  FPReleaseFocus  /
!FPReleaseFocus, !FPReleaseFocusTransient /  FPReleaseFocusTran-
sient,  FPOverrideReleaseFocus / !FPOverrideReleaseFocus, Start-
sLowered / StartsRaised, IgnoreRestack / AllowRestack,  FixedPo-
sition / VariablePosition, FixedUSPosition / VariableUSPosition,
FixedPPosition / VariablePPosition,  FixedSize  /  VariableSize,
FixedUSSize / VariableUSSize, FixedPSize / VariablePSize, !Clos-
able / Closable, !Iconifiable / Iconifiable, !Maximizable / Max-
imizable,   !AllowMaximizeFixedSize   /  AllowMaximizeFixedSize,
IconOverride / NoIconOverride /  NoActiveIconOverride,  Depress-
ableBorder  /  FirmBorder,  MaxWindowSize, IconifyWindowGroups /
IconifyWindowGroupsOff, ResizeOpaque /  ResizeOutline,  Backing-
Store  /  BackingStoreOff / BackingStoreWindowDefault, Opacity /
ParentalRelativity, SaveUnder / SaveUnderOff, WindowShadeShrinks
/  WindowShadeScrolls, WindowShadeSteps, WindowShadeAlwaysLazy /
WindowShadeBusy / WindowShadeLazy, EWMHDonateIcon /  EWMHDontDo-
nateIcon, EWMHDonateMiniIcon / EWMHDontDonateMiniIcon, EWMHMini-
IconOverride / EWMHNoMiniIconOverride, EWMHUseStackingOrderHints
/ EWMHIgnoreStackingOrderHints, EWMHIgnoreStateHints / EWMHUseS-
tateHints, EWMHIgnoreStrutHints /  EWMHUseStrutHints,  EWMHMaxi-
mizeIgnoreWorkingArea  /  EWMHMaximizeUseWorkingArea / EWMHMaxi-
mizeUseDynamicWorkingArea,   EWMHPlacementIgnoreWorkingArea    /
EWMHPlacementUseWorkingArea  EWMHPlacementUseDynamicWorkingArea,
MoveByProgramMethod, Unmanaged, State.

You could, I suppose place these on a form, one after the other and
have a checkbox or something.  But anyone can do that -- indeed, the
original reference I cited to the fvwm config page, does say that doing
this is counter-productive.  You could place a textual description next
to each option, but is that of any help?  Not when you consider the
intricacies of the various options listed above.  The man page for fvwm
goes into a lot of detail, that trying to represent on a form in this
way, would not be that possible.  I've tried it -- it's not that
intuitive.

You could argue that you could split the difference, and group various
like components together (as Schniedermann would no doubt agree with)
-- but the problem here is that often one function relies on another,
not necessarily in the same group -- it would therefore be a visual
nightmare.

Then there's the problem of getting those style hints to apply to
various windows -- do you just apply it to the currently selected
window, or all windows?  How do you represent that graphically,
already, given the vast number of options possible.  By graphically, I
don't just mean a drop-down list, with a mass of text then appearing
detailing the option.  To depict anyone of those options would be quite
a challenge.

As a semi-example of a GUI disaster, just look at the program
"xcolors".

-- Thomas Adam.