Dale Miller writes:
  Dale>  I am working on a package of Lclint which is the free lint for
  Dale> Linux. Unfortunately I am having problems with color-ls. When I try
  Dale> to do make test to compile the test cases I get the following error.
  Dale> dircolors: Unknown shell `csh '.  This causes the build to mess
  Dale> up. Does anyone have any ideas why this happens. If I purge the
  Dale> color-ls package then everything works fine and the build works.  I
  Dale> like color-ls so I don't want to have to purge it.  Any info would be
  Dale> appreciated. If you need more info answer my question then let me
  Dale> know.

>From dircolors(1):

   OPTIONS

       -a, -s Assume the user is using a Bourne-style shell which
              does not support aliasing.  This is default if  the
              base  name  of the environment variable SHELL is sh
              or ash.  Instead a shell function is used.  If  the
              -P  option is also used, this function will need to
              spawn a  subshell;  this  is  slow  and  should  be
              avoided if possible.

       -b, -k Assume  the user is using a Bourne-style shell that
              supports Korn-style aliasing.  This is the  default
              if  the base name of the environment variable SHELL
              is bash or ksh.   You  may  want  to  specify  this
              option  explicitly  if  your  sh  is  really a more
              advanced  shell,  which  does  support   Korn-style
              aliasing.

You have to add the switch to your call of dircolors. I do the following in
my /usr/local/etc/profile (which is sourced by /etc/profile):

        eval `dircolors -b /usr/local/etc/colour-ls.rc`

Hope this helps,

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd