>>> If the max passwd
>>> length is 8 bytes, then at a quick estimate it seems that there are
>>> 256^8 * 4096 different possible passwords...?

Fewer than that. The range of ASCII characters used in passwords is
quite small: perhaps ~= 110, optimisticly taking into account control
characters and punctuation marks. Then, many people don't use the full 8
characters, so we have to reduce the _average_ number again. I'd
>tentatively suggest 6 characters.
>
>> If a password were a random sequence of characters, they would be nearly
>> unbreakable, but then people would have to write them down somewhere and
>> that is an even bigger security risk in many ways.

Perhaps, but I get by with random characters for some of my passwords.
It's tough to remember them, but you can't beat 'em. To invent them, I
type in strings of random characters until find one that feels
comfortable to type, and that's the one I learn.

>>                                       Brian
>>                              ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

>>-------
>>   In theory, theory and practice are the same.  In practice, they're not.

Good point.