You're quite right, Rob: it /is/ a really bad idea if you don't know
what you're doing. However, we need to bear in mind that:

  (a) packages which control superuser execution are not generally
      found in distributed commercial UNICES (and how many sysadmins
      have the time or the inclination to seek out these packages?);
  (b) it is a valid and extremely useful feature which, like many
      aspects of UNIX, combine power and risk.

Any self-respecting UNIX administrator should make themselves aware of
the potential risks of the commands and facilities that they use. This
understanding is vital when making decisions about reducing risk, and in
knowing which solutions are available.

In this particular case, I agree with Rob that a utility like sudo is
the answer. We are particularly lucky with Linux that we have such a
variety of useful packages available.

Casper Boden-Cummins.