>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin Str|mberg)
>Subject: Re: lilo installation on IDE disk > 500 megabytes
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles Blair)
>Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 16:28:35 +0200 (MET DST)
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Hello.
>

>>     I am trying to install the 7-14-96 debian release on a machine
>> with over 500 megabytes on an IDE hard disk.  I want to have a DOS
>> partition and a linux partition.  At present fdisk shows:
>>
>> >    Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
>> > /dev/hda1            1        1      356   179392+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
>> > /dev/hda2   *      357      357      966   307440   83  Linux native
>> > /dev/hda3          967      967      999    16632   82  Linux swap
>>
>> fdisk also displays a warning:
>>
>> > The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 1025.
>> > This is larger than 1024, and may cause problems with:
>> > 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
>>
>> The lilo documentation says:
>>
>> >Note that large partitions that only partially extend into the "forbidden
>> >zone" are still in jeopardy even if they appear to work at first, because
>> >the file system does not know about the restrictions and may allocate disk
>> >space from the area beyond the 1024th cylinder when installing new kernels.
>>

>I think that your hda2 partition is under the 1024 cylinder boundary. Roar
>those of you debianites that disagree (let us know, i. e.)!
>Is there someway to check this with a program or can you be sure that when you
>have a partition taking up 16MB (the swap) at the end of a disk of this size
>that that last cylinder (1025) is only used by that partition?
>
>> Lilo suggests either using LOADLIN or booting from the DOS partition:
>>
>> > In order to accomplish this, the DOS partition is mounted read-write, a
>> > directory (e.g. /dos/linux) is created, all files from /boot are moved to
>> > that directory, /boot is replaced by a symbolic link to it, the kernels
are
>> > also moved to the new directory, their new location is recorded in
>> > /etc/lilo.conf, and finally /sbin/lilo is run.
>>
>>    I tried creating a subdirectory c:\linux in DOS, then from linux:
>>
>>      mkdir ./dos
>>      mount /dev/hda1/linux ./dos
>>      cp /boot ./dos
>>
>> At this point, I got some warning or error messages.  It looks as though
>> file names got truncated, and in some cases discarded completely.
>>
>> >From ls /boot:
>>
>> >    System.map-2.0.6     chain.b
>> >    any_b.b              map
>> >    any_d.b           mbr.b
>> >    boot.0302                 os2_d.b
>> >    boot.b            vmlinuz-2.0.6
>>
>> >From ls ./dos:
>>
>> >    any_b.b    map
>> >    any_d.b mbr.b
>> >    boot.030   os2_d.b
>> >    boot.b  system.map
>> >    chain.b
>>

>Yes FAT handles only 8.3 names as I'm sure you know. There is a file system
> [...]

I originally set up Linux on a WD 1.2GIG IDE drive, putting Linux /
into /dev/hda1, swap in /dev/hda2, /usr in /dev/hda3, and Windows 95
in /dev/hda4.  The entire Linux system was under 500 Megs, so I did
not have to do _anything_ tricky to get it to work.  (Getting the
Linux system to work the way I wanted it to has _not_ been so smooth,
but that's another story :-) )

I use Central Point Bootsafe, part of their old Antivirus program,
that watches for any program that tries to modify the boot sector.
I installed Win95 first, so after I installed Linux and LILO, of
course the boot sector was modified, and Bootsafe complained when
I subsequently booted Win95.  I just let Bootsafe accept the new
boot image as the correct one, (choose "Update" from the promt) and
Linux and W95 lived happily ever after.

I don't know if this rant will help or not; I hope it will.
---
Key fingerprint =  D6 A7 D7 8C 92 CB 42 FD  60 D5 62 1C D7 B9 EA 8E
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK         Hybrid Networks, Inc.  Cupertino, Calif.
"The life of a Repo Man is ALWAYS INTENSE..."