Hi

The DOS+LOADLIN solution is in my opinion a very practical and safe one. I read
"much safer than LILO" somewhere and some time ago, but I cannot recall why nor
if it has changed with the last versions of LILO for which horror histories
abound. Anybody knows?

There is however at least one situation that none of LILO or SYSLINUX can cope
with: The Compaq boxes with a PCI SCSI and or Ethernet card on board.
The problem is that Linux cannot address the PCI services on them (Ref: Linus
Torvald). This is the case, at least, for the Compaq Deskpro and the high end XL
series. There was a page on the WWW for Linux on these last.

But...DOS+LOADLIN can cope with it:

Compaq provides a DOS driver (luckily Novell Netware has the same problem as
Linux :) called MOVEPCI which re-addresses PCI services and exits. Then one can
load via MS-DOS LOADLIN. A CONFIG.SYS on top of MS-DOS 5.0
that worked for me is:

----- Cut here ----
DEVICE=\MOVEPCI.SYS
SHEL=\LOADLIN \vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6 ro
----- Cut here ----

This and all the variants you can imagine like(take them alone or combined)
LOADLIN from AUTOEXEC, within a menuitem (DOS 6.xx), many different kernels
and/or root on different partitions, with the kernel image on HD or FD (yes,
two moderatly large kernels + LOADLIN + MOVEPCI...fit in one FD!) and you can
of course pass old the boot parameters you one in a line or (if too long for
DOS) in a file. And if in a floppy is readable/transportable from/to any DOS
machine around (the same good point of Syslinux used on Debian).

I think LOADLIN is a good (and versatile) choice. I prefer it to LILO unless
somebody can show me a good reason to not.

P.S. Yes, I know that with Syslinux you can fit 3 kernels on one floppy + a tiny
editor (I have DOS screen editor of size=4096 bytes!)