I just installed the new gs package gs_4.01-4.deb. installing was no
   problem, but when I tried to use it with the magicfilter, I get garbage
   out of my HP Deskjet 510. THis filter uses -sDEVICE=deskjet. However, when
   I replace it with the `djet500' device (hmm.. in my old gs, version
   2.6..., this was still `dj500'), I get output. Is the deskjetdevice broken
   in the 4.01 version, or did I do something wrong? If you debians can shed
   some light in this darkness, I would be pleased.

I think the deskjet device is broken. There was a discussion of this (and
a patch to apply to gs) in comp.lang.postscript last weeks.

Yves.