On Sun, 27 Oct 1996 17:38:12 +1100 Hamish Moffatt ([EMAIL PROTECTED]
rmit.EDU.AU) wrote:

> I mentioned previously that it's very difficult to compile modules
> and things on Debian because /usr/include/linux is from libc5-dev,
> and hence contains old version.h, and doesn't contain modversions.h.
> This problem is even worse in that you cannot compile kernel 2.1.5
> on Debian; it looks for several files in /usr/include/linux
> that are not there.
>
> Why is /usr/include/linux not part of the kernel-headers or
> kernel-source package? I thought it was mandatory to have either
> one of these installed.

This is a long story and it generated a lot of discussions here.
The consensus is that it's better for user-level programs to be compiled with
the same set of kernel file than libc was compiled with.
Obviously, if you want to compile your own kernel-level stuff that's a problem.
But the kernel itself shouldn't look in /usr/include. I wasn't aware that 2.1
was looking here. Hmmm.

Phil.