>       Please does anyone have (or know of where I can find) as script/Macro I
>can run which would check for the fonts installed on my system and write
out a
Hmm, a ls /var/spool/texmf/fonts/pk/<MODE> should give you a first hint
(<MODE> is the mode supply to mf; most probably cx; but this should be
 taylored to your printer)

>tex file repeating some phrase in the different avaliable fonts. This is
so I
>can actuall see what the different fonts look like...
Not exactly. But there is testfont.tex (tex testfont) where you can print
out a sample text of the choosen font.

Hope this helps,
 David