Hi again.

Well, I tried much stuff including compiling David Howells PnP code into
a 2.0.27 kernel.  In the end, it looks like what solves the problem is a
proper warm boot with loadlin.  I used stripped config.sys and
autoexec.bat files so that no drivers are loaded when linux boots.  As a
result, the PnP settings on the Logitech serial card are seen by the BIOS
before the kernel loads.  Then, /dev/cua3 is properly recognized and set
to irq 10 (which is the Windoze setting I'm using).

I believe that a similar method will work for linux without the need for
booting a M$ OS:  Boot linux and then use Peter Fox's isapnptools package
to set the board up correctly prior to a warm reboot.  Assuming that one
doesn't reboot several times a day/week, this should be acceptable.  As
far as I know, PnP support is far from ready for general distribution and
incorporation into the linux kernel, but there are some workarounds
available.

Cheers.  Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    UCSD Physics Dept.