> I just built a distribution tree from a CD on my hard disk. I tried to
> remove all the TRANS.TBL files from the tree by using:
> rm -r TRANS.TBL
> If I do this in a directory that has a TRANS.TBL it, and only it, gets
> removed. If I do this in an upper directory without a TRANS.TBL file, I
> get the error "no such file or directory"
> Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug in rm?

Dwarf:

try this:

find . -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm \{\} \;

(you need the backslashes to escape {} ; because these have special meaning
in the bash shell - see find(1) for more details on the -exec parameter
of the find command)

Them rm -R command does do what you want. I have used it to delete an entire
subdirectory structure as in: rm -Rf subdir. Here, everything under subdir
gets deleted, including the directory subdir itself.

Good luck.

E.-

P.S. I love the find command :-)

--