Nop, not the motherboard, thats one of the first things I checked.
I'm able to control it now using the following commands:

xset s off  (for xwindows, will not go blank after 10 minutes)
setterm -blank 0  (for my console sessions, does not go blank at all)

Should these options be run as root ??

Matthew