[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> I wrote:
> > But why is it undocumented?
>
> Philippe Troin writes:
> > This file is in /usr/lib, it's an internal command. It's most likely
> > you'll never have to use it by hand. It's hence undocumented.
>
> Not a good reason.  It should be documented somewhere, even if only with a
> line or two in the updatedb man page.

locatedb(5) has the following:

     updatedb runs a program called frcode to compress  the  list
     of  file  names  using  front-compression, which reduces the
     database size by a factor  of  4  to  5.   Front-compression
     (also known as incremental encoding) works as follows.

- Hari

--
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ [EMAIL PROTECTED]