On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Alexander Koch wrote:

> [...]

> 3. On the boot discs there were only /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdb8, both 9 and 10
> were missing. Well, it's not difficult to have 10 partitions if you a) only
> use two primary, one to be an extended partition with the rest being logical
> ones and b) if you're lucky and have a 4g hd. I had to mknod them and seem
> to have forgotten to do it on /target/dev/, too, what was further annoying.

I reported this problem on 27 Jan when I got stuck trying to install from
Debian 1.2. (This was on sda, but sdb was the same.) Strangely, Debian 1.1
had 16 partitions which is why I didn't get hit before.

I don't think 1.2 had any ram disk devices either, so I couldn't rdev the
root device on my custom boot/root disk at home (1.2) but only at work
(originally 1.1). Looking at 1.3 of 4 Apr, it seems to have one ok
(/dev/ramdisk0).

So please, more SCSI partitions. Disks are getting bigger, and some of us
need to run multiple OSes. And please don't say "you should have more
disks, not partitions"; that's a decision made by our purchasing dept,
not me.
--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151