Philipp JW Grau wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Stephen Davey wrote:
>
> > There is an entry in the /etc/mgetty/login.config for /AutoPPP/ but it just
> > seems to be ignoring it
>
> AFAIK there must be an Define in the Makefile, but
> I am not familiar with mgetty as a Debian package
>
> >From the Makefile:
>
> # If you want to auto-detect incoming PPP calls (with PAP authorization),
> # add -DAUTO_PPP. Not needed if PPP callers want to get a real "login:"
> # prompt first. Don't forget to activate the /AutoPPP/ line in login.config!
>
> Have a close look on the docs of the Debian package,
> or perhaps fetch the source an make your own mgetty... ;-)

I use the AutoPPP feature and have the binary 1.0.0-1 version.
It works fine. You have to get the client which is dialing in to
start sending PPP rather then looking for "login:". This works well
with Win95 Dial-Up Networking. I can use the same login/password for
a telnet login and PPP login. Your problem is most likely with the
client.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]