The reason I opted for mc in the first place was for the ability to tag or
untag directories to avoid copying /proc and the /mnt directories.  Since
it had the option to retain UID's and GID's I thought it was a safe
option.  I backfired on me which I think is a bug and will report it as
such.

I will say that other than the directory permissions it worked well.  I
should have followed my usual procedure of dbl checking before I removed
the old file system.

The linuxconf suggestion changed some of the permissions for me.  The
system is working without any errors other than the smail error.

I think I should be able to operate without re-installing and fix the
permissions as I go.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

--Rick

[EMAIL PROTECTED]