When trying to telnet into a Debian GNU/Linux system I set up, I get the
following:

sally# telnet ross
Trying x.y.z.193...
Connected to ross.
Escape character is '^]'.
<there is a 10-15 second pause here.... then>
Connection closed by foreign host.
sally#

This system is pretty much a default installation.  I don't remember having
done anything to refuse connections - at least not intentionally.  The only
way for me to administrate this system is remotely....  The system is
locked in a tiny room about 30 miles away from my office.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?  What I should check?  Obviously,
I'm going to have to go onsite to fix it and I'd like to have a pretty good
idea on what to look for before I get there.

TIA for your help,

Kevin Traas
Systems Analyst
Edmondson Roper CA