In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, writes:

  >Somewhere in the dank recesses of my mind, I recall
  >a utility that would strip the extra ^M's from a
  >text file copied to a unix box. Well, it seems that
  >Linux also considers these ^M's extranious, is there
  >such a standard utility or do I have to dig even
  >deeper to remember sed/awk/grep commands?  :^>

In vi:
:/g/^V^M$/s///
(where ^V means control-V)

or, again in vi:
:1,$s/.$//
or, in ed or sed:
1,$s/.$//
if you are sure that _every_ line ends with an unwanted character.

It seems simpler than installing a special utility.

I expect perl or awk would also offer entertaining solutions!

If you copy from a mounted msdos filesystem, or ftp in ascii mode, you
avoid the problem in the first place.
--
Oliver Elphick                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Isle of Wight                      http://homepages.enterprise.net/olly

In case of connection troubles, try [EMAIL PROTECTED] instead.