Paul Seelig wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Baums) writes:
>
> > It works all right for bash (thanks so far), but not for emacs, or
> > tcsh (which I'd like to use), where the effect is nil.
> >
> Make sure to load "de-latin1.map" using the program 'kbdconfig' and
> reboot (must this really be necessary?).  It happened to me twice
> during some Debian installations that i accidently loaded
> "de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map" and therefore the emacs on the target
> machines showed the same symptoms.

Umlaut-problem number 2 (emacs from bash) has been successfully solved:
the German-HOWTO solution actually works once you have configured your
shell. Remains umlaut-problem number 3: tcsh. The man pages for tcsh do
have something to say on the subject, only it (i.e. setting LANG /
LC_CTYPE, using setfont / loadkeys) doesn't work. Could anyone mail me
the relevant part of his/her tcsh-under-Debian configuration?

Greetings,
Stefan