> I don't see any need to post that restriction on dpkg. dpkg is just a

Uhh, it's not a *restriction on dpkg*.  It's an *extension* to dpkg to
make it more aware of a site's policy.  We've already got a policy
that says "packages (ie. those part of debian; what you do with your
own is up to you) don't put files in /usr/local, but if they *look*
for files, there, they should put directories in place."  Now some,
maybe even many, sites have a networked /usr/local (yeah, sounds like
a condradiction; Oh Well) that a particular machine can't write to; it
should be possible to handle this.  This should also be an *option*; a
"normal" site will unstall them as they are...  Has this made things
at all clearer?

> If some official debian packages try to install files in /usr/local

Files are irrelevant -- *directories* are still permitted, and even
required, by the policy, and dpkg should handle this.