Thanks, Bob!  I guess I should have kept going with fdisk instead of
wimping out.  I probably would have gone down that path eventually.

I asked two of my friends familiar with this (both Debian users, in
fact) and both of them answered with "I don't remember exactly how that
works, but it does."

As always, the debian-user list is a wealth of useful, timely help and
info...

Thanks again (to everyone, for the list itself as well!)

-dh