On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Damir J. Naden wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I'm trying to install Debian 1.3 from a set of 1.44 floppies; which
> contain a kernel compiled just for my setup by kind Susan Kleinmann (
> and based on 2.0.30 kernel).
> (Stock rescue floppy gets stuck on my aic7xxx driver...)
> Installation goes smoothly through setting up a color display, keyboard
> config (US-english), initializing and checking for bad blocks on
> /dev/sdb5 (swap), /dev/sdb6 (/), /dev/sda6 (/usr), /dev/sda7 (/var) and
> /dev/sdb7 (/usr) partitions and mounting filesystems. Next option is
> "Install operating system kernel and modules". I hit Enter nad then
> answer "Install from rescue floppy"-or something to that effect- (which
> is in /dev/fd0 initially- and that initial message screen which comes up
> after booting recognizes it as /dev/fd0 1.44 Mb...) and use "/dev/fd0".
> Instead of transferring kernel over to hard disk installation comes back
> with the message:
> "Installing from the rescue floppy...
> ./install.sh: Can't open ./install.sh
> The attempt to extract the rescue floppy failed...
> Press ENTER when you are ready."

Perhaps you could use ALT-F1 to get a console, sign on and look around
to find out what is wrong.

> When I hit enter, it takes me back to the option "Install operating
> system kernel..." (after it goes and inspects my system). I have tried
> three different floppies, two downloads of the resc1440.bin file
> (written to the floppy using rawrite2 on WinNT4.0 machine).
> I have also tried to look (after trying to install it) at the contents
> of the rescue floppy using WinNT explorer and found the file Install.sh.
> I don't know why is it capitalized, and that might be the cause of the
> problem (if it is I don't know how to fix it). Also I have been running

I do not know about WinNT but Win95 Explorer lies about the case of
filenames. Norton on the same machine reads correctly. All files on
the boot floppy show first letter capitalized in Win95 Explorer.

> the Debian 1.1 and 1.2 on this same machine for the last two years (how
> I lost everything is a sad and long story..but HDs have been freshly
> repartitioned) with no problems.
> Any help appreciated.
> Sorry for being so long..
> TIA
> DamirN
>

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] .
> Trouble?  e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] .

: W. Paul Mills          : Bill, I was there several years ago.     :
: Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A. : Why would I want to go back tomorrow?    :
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     : Where were you!                          :
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      : Linux:     Tomorrow's operating system,  :
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      :            here, today.                  :
: compuserve 70023,1750  : #define MY_TRUE_LOVE computer            :
 --------------  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  -------------