On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Paul Wade wrote:
>
> > I would think that 16mb ram would be a minimum regardless of CPU.
>
>  8 Mb should be enough too.

I don't know about that. Like I said before apache runs ok on the 8mb
machine until I run some cgi/perl script. It was even worse when I had
slackware and then redhat on the machine. Even a 486DX2 was sluggish until
I went from 8mb to 12mb. I suppose I could eliminate some daemons to free
up memory, but that would take away from the joy of running linux.

I find that the 386 w/8mb works well as a combination router, firewall,
file server, print server, and more. It will run X if you don't mind the
startup time. Maybe there are a few tweaks I need to try.