I noticed that some example files where stored in
/usr/doc/<package>/examples while others are stored in
/usr/doc/examples/<package>. Unfortunately I did not notice the second
location until relatively recently.

        What does the standard say ? Personally I prefer the first setting
and more packages seem to respect it anyway. Here are the packages that
store configuration files in /usr/doc/examples on my system:

deliver         2.1.12-2
ncurses-dev     <none>
samba           1.9.16p9
bison           A2.6-12
fvwm2           2.0.43-BETA-0
lilo            19-1
popclient       3.05-3
tar             1.11.8-5
fwtk            1.3-1
mount           2.5l-1
procmail        3.10-4
wu-ftpd         2.4-27

Some other packages make symbolic links to the /usr/doc/<package>/example
directories (apache, cgi-scripts, libpaper).

On my system bing still stores its Readme file in the file /usr/doc/bing !

--
Francois Gouget
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                http://www.mygale.org/~fgouget/