>>Rob Browning wrote:
 >[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
 >
 >> The modem in the PC is an ISA card modem.  Will this map to one of
 >> the /dev/ ttyS's?  Rember, I'm primarily a Mac person, so I don't
 >> know an IRQ from my left knee, and to me an I/O address is a place
 >> one one of the moons of Jupiter that the postman delivers mail to.
 >
 >What you'd really like is something like this:
 >
 >/dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A (spd_vhi)
 >/dev/ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A (spd_vhi)
 >/dev/ttyS2 at 0x0??? (irq = 5) is a 16550A (spd_vhi)

Hopefully your modem is smart enough to have jumpers or dip switches
selecting COM port and IRQ. Selecting COM3 and IRQ5 should give you
this from setserial:
/dev/ttyS2 at 0x03e8 (irq = 5) is a [8250|16450|16550A]

There are couple of gotchas, though.  Hopefully you won't run into
them...

 >> I'll download the software directly that way.  In the meantime,
 >> anyone else have any ideas?  I could use MacGZip to gzip the .deb
 >> files and transfer them on a PC-formatted floppy, but would I get
 >> much compression, or are the files already compressed to the max?
 >
 >.deb files are already compressed, so you'd be wasting your time.

Disk images, however, will probably compress.  Get gzip.exe for
DOS to uncompress them and you'll be able to use 1.44 floppies.
I think nobody had "can't find misc.o" problems with 1.44 floppies
recently.

--
Dimitri
reply to